But we must not forget civil buildings, such as the Hospital Real (The Royal Hospital, founded by the Catholic King and Queen, and today the seat of the University of Granada, an important center of knowledge which was founded in 1531 by Charles V, with over 80,000 students; the Cancillería Real (Royal Chancery), built by order of Charles V and used today as Andalusia's Higher Court of Justice. Let us begin our promenade from here: La Casa de Los Tiros (The House of the Tiros), a beautiful palace, over whose entrance, mounted over a sword, we can see the motto: "The heart commands"; the Casa de Castril, a XVI century stately house with a beautiful legend and where the archaeological museum is located; the Law School, formerly a Jesuit monastery; the Real Colegio Mayor de San Bartolomé and Santiago (Royal Hall of Residence for students, dedicated to Saint Bartholomew and Saint James), a lovely Renaissance building which housed its first student in 1649, and where over 10,000 young men have stayed, among them some ministers and poets. Nowadays, for example, three members of the Council of State are alumni.
And there are also the streets. Some, like San Jerónimo, boast Renaissance palaces. Others, like the Darro Promenade, which ends in the Paseo de los Tristes, is considered as one of the most beautiful streets in the world. Here is another one, the street of Tradesmen (Oficios), that allows us to tread over typical Granada cobbles while enjoying the beauty of the Royal Chapel and the Madrassa.
And then, there are the squares. Take the so-called Plaza Nueva (New Square), where, at a single glance, we can see a great Manierista (?) building, the Royal Chancery, a lovely Mudejar church (the Church of Saint Anne) and a moving Moorish tower, the Torre de la Vela. Or the Plaza de las Pasiegas, where the shining beauty of the Cathedral façade overwhelms us. Or Bibrambla, inviting us to take a seat and enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee in the morning, or a beer in the afternoon.